A relaxing place for browsing,
lazing and nature-gazing
By Wynne Crombie
Salt air wafted across the narrow channel between the mainland and Whidbey Island in Washington state. Eight-five degrees, sunny and not a rain cloud in sight. This dispelled the, It always rains in Seattle myth…at least for now.
My husband Kent and I munched contentedly on seafood takeout from, Ivar’s wharfside stand and watched the oncoming ferry maneuver into its moorings. Car engines revved up. No one seems to mind the ½ hour plus wait between ferries. (think: Island Time) This August weekend, the Island County Fair was in full swing. People snatched a nap, read or took advantage of Ivar’s snacks.
The quaint artist community of Langley, at Whidbey’s southern tip, is a stroller’s paradise. Nary a Target nor McDonalds and the residents want to keep it that way. You can find specialized small shops devoted to chocolate, books, twig furniture, handmade rugs or art. One doesn’t hurry along Langley’s two main streets or the tempting back lanes and alleys.
The County Fair parade was just rounding the corner. as we sat down to nibble at The Langley Village Bakery where fantastic muffins, croissants and coffee are dispensed daily. Two male ponytailed bikers, well past retirement age, were sipping the last of their lattes. They both sported, I Climbed Mt. Rainier t-shirts.
We poked a long the back lane next to, Moonraker’s and came out on 2nd Street. The Second Street Wine Shop and Tasting Room serve only Washington State wines. “The best,” smiled the owner, Laurel Davis.
If a jet roars overhead, it’s from the Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. The film, “An Officer and Gentlemen”, was filmed there.
Wynne Crombie has a master’s degree in adult education. She and her husband Kent met in Berlin 43 years ago and have been traveling ever since. She has been published in GoNomad.com, Real Travel.com (UK) Dallas Morning News Travel Section, Travel and Leisure, Christian Science Monitor, Air Force Times, Stars and Stripes and Catholic Digest.
Read more stories about Washington state on GoNOMAD
More articles like Island Time in Washington State:
- NJ: Stone Harbor, the Classic Shore Town
- Seattle Music, Dance and Theater Festivals
- Washington: La Push and the Quileutes
- Ten Great Things to do on Martha’s Vineyard
- Harbor View Hotel, Edgartown Mass
- New York: Long Island’s North Fork
- New Zealand: Wairarapa’s Food Scene
- Perfect Island Peace at the Inn at Diamond Cove off the…
Latest posts by GoNomad (see all)
- In The Valley of Grace – A Stroll Around Naantali, Finland - August 31, 2016
- Praha: What’s New in Prague? - August 30, 2016
- Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina - August 29, 2016
- Nagorno-Karabakh, the Heart of the South Caucasus - August 27, 2016
- Korea: Seeking the Truth in Jirisan National Park - August 26, 2016